Kohl's Higg Requirements (2021-2022)
As part of Kohl’s ongoing commitment to sustainability, it is an annual requirement for their supply chain partners to complete the Higg facility modules.
The Higg FEM (Facility Environmental Module) is an industry-leading sustainability assessment tool that standardizes how facilities measure and evaluate their environmental sustainability performance.
The Higg FSLM (Facility Social & Labor Module) measures the social impact of manufacturing across areas such as wages, working hours, health and safety, and employee treatment.
Kohl’s has communicated each facility’s specific Higg requirements for the 2021-2022 reporting cycle. Based on the facility’s requirements this year, each facility will need to purchase one of the below Higg Facility subscription options, plus verification (if required):
- Facility Environmental Subscription – this subscription includes access to the standard Higg FEM 2021 self-assessment.
- Facilities that are required by Kohl’s to complete ONLY Higg FEM 2021 should choose this option.
- Facility Plus Subscription – this subscription includes access to the standard Higg FEM 2021 self-assessment and the Higg FSLM self-assessment; this option also includes access to FEM Communication Toolkit, benchmarking, CSV exports, SLCP verified transfer.
- Facilities that are required by Kohl’s to complete BOTH Higg FEM 2021 and FSLM should choose this option.
- Facilities that are engaged in the Betterwork program or that wish to transfer their verified SLCP from the gateway to Higg should choose this option.
Be sure to add verification to your subscription, if verification is required.
Kohl’s is working with Higg, the Sustainable Apparel Coalition’s (SAC) technology partner, to help facilities complete their assessment(s). Higg will be sending email communications throughout the reporting period to each facility. These Higg communications will provide resources and guidance on next steps to ensure facilities are getting the support they need to meet Kohl’s completion requirements on time.
Who is Higg?
Higg is the sustainability insights platform, helping consumer goods businesses take responsibility for their entire impact – from materials to products, from factories to stores, across energy, waste, water, and working conditions.
By making both data collection and performance analysis easier, we help brands and manufacturers make better environmental, social and governance decisions – across all parts of their business.
Spun out of the Sustainable Apparel Coalition in 2019, Higg is the exclusive licensee of the Higg Index, a suite of tools for the standardized measurement of supply chain sustainability.
What is the Higg Index?
The Higg Index is a suite of tools developed by the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC), for the standardized measurement of supply chain sustainability, used by the footwear, apparel, textile, and other industries. Together, these tools are used to assess the environmental and social performance of both value chains and products. Each tool focuses on measuring a different parameter.
STEP 1: (IMPORTANT) Make sure to add email@example.com to your company email’s safe email sender list, otherwise you risk not receiving the ongoing communications due to email firewalls. If you do not receive an email from Higg by December 31, 2021, please check your spam folder.
STEP 2: LOGIN OR CREATE A HIGG ACCOUNT
Facilities that already have active Higg accounts can log into Higg.org. First-time Higg users should start here to learn how to create an account on Higg.org.
STEP 3: PURCHASE A HIGG FACILITY SUBSCRIPTION
Once logged in, purchase the Higg Facility Subscription from the Higg subscriptions page to access the Higg facility modules that you need to complete and share with Kohl’s this year. Facilities that have been asked to complete verification this year will need to purchase verification along with the subscription.
For more information about Higg’s NEW facility subscription model, please refer to the PDF here and the subscription details page on HowtoHigg.
STEP 4:(IMPORTANT) SHARE HIGG FACILITY MODULE(S) WITH Kohl’s
Accept the module share requests sent by Kohl’s.
If you do not see a pending share request from Kohl’s in your modules page, under Share Requests, you should click the Share Module button and initiate the module share with Kohl’s.
Account Name: Kohl’s Private Label Brands
Higg ID: 4131
STEP 5: COMPLETE AND POST HIGG SELF-ASSESSMENTS WITH Kohl’s
Complete 100% of the applicable questions and post the module. Facilities that have completed the Higg FEM in previous years can use the roll forward feature to easily copy data to the new self-assessment.
STEP 6: VERIFY HIGG SELF-ASSESSMENTS (if required)
Verification of the self-assessment ensures that facilities have accurately completed all parts of the Higg Facility module – giving the self-assessment data the credibility and accuracy required to share publicly.
- Please note that ELEVATE is the brand’s preferred verifying body.
- November 5, 2021 – Higg FEM 2021 self-assessment is accessible; Higg verification available to purchase
- January 1, 2022 – Higg FEM verification is accessible
- April 30, 2022 – Higg FEM 2021 self-assessment can no longer be unposted (once posted)
- October 31, 2022 – Higg FEM 2021 and verification is no longer available for purchase
- December 31, 2022 – Higg FEM 2021 reporting cycle ends; Last day to post both self and verified Higg FEM 2021
Kohl’s Deadlines (2021-2022)
- April 30, 2022 – all Higg FEM self-assessments must be posted and shared with Kohl’s
- October 31, 2022 – all verified Higg FEM self-assessments must be posted and shared with Kohl’s
- October 31, 2022 – all Higg FSLM self-assessments must be posted and shared with Kohl’s
Higg User Resources
Higg’s training website, HowtoHigg.org, contains all of the information and guidance facilities need to help them at every stage of the module completion process.
- Higg Facility Subscriptions Overview – the new way to purchase Higg facility modules
- Higg Facility Environmental Module (FEM)
- Higg Facility Social and Labor Module (FSLM)
- Training Events
- Check out the Higg Events Resources page to view past webinar recordings and register to attend upcoming training and office hour sessions through our Higg Training Events Calendar.
- Customer Support
- Submit questions about Higg accounts, modules, and subscriptions to the Higg Support Team.