As part of Walmart’s ongoing commitment to sustainability, it is a requirement for their Tier 2 textile production partners (including garment and fabric printing & dyeing facilities, garment laundering facilities, tanneries, and all other wet processing facilities) to complete the Higg Facility Environmental Module (FEM), with verification every other year. Those who have never reported using the Higg FEM before can complete the 2021 Facility Foundations self-assessment.
The Higg FEM is an industry-leading sustainability assessment tool that standardizes how facilities measure and evaluate their environmental sustainability performance.
Higg Facility Foundations is an introductory environmental assessment. This self-assessment contains a subset of the Higg FEM and is designed for businesses beginning to measure the environmental impact of their manufacturing. Facility Foundations does not include scoring or benchmarking, or additional results reports; however it can be verified.
Walmart has communicated each facility’s specific Higg requirements for the 2021-2022 reporting cycle. Based on the facility’s requirements this year, each facility will need to purchase one of the below Higg Facility subscription options, plus verification (if you did not complete it last year):
- Facility Starter Subscription – this subscription includes access to the Higg Facility Foundations self-assessment, and is designed for new Higg users
- Facilities that have NEVER completed a Higg FEM in previous years should purchase this subscription.
- Facility Environmental Subscription – this subscription includes access to the standard Higg FEM 2021 self-assessment, benchmarking, unlimited shares, and CSV export.
- Facilities that are required by Walmart to complete ONLY Higg FEM 2021 should choose this option.
- Facility Plus Subscription – this subscription includes access to the standard Higg FEM 2021 self-assessment and the Higg FSLM self-assessment; this option also includes access to FEM Communication Toolkit, benchmarking, unlimited shares, CSV exports.
- Facilities that are required to complete BOTH Higg FEM 2021 and FSLM should choose this option.
- If you are being asked to purchase the Plus subscription by another brand, that is okay and will meet Walmart’s requirements…
Be sure to add verification to your subscription, if you did not complete verification for the FEM 2020 cycle. Walmart requires verification of the Higg FEM self-assessment every other year. If your facility completed verification for Higg FEM 2020, they will not need to complete it again until the Higg FEM 2022 cycle next year. If your facility did not complete verification for FEM 2020, then you will need to complete verification this year for FEM 2021.
Walmart is working with Higg, the Sustainable Apparel Coalition’s (SAC) technology partner, to help facilities complete their assessment(s). Higg will be sending email communications throughout the reporting period to each facility. These Higg communications will provide resources and guidance on next steps to ensure facilities are getting the support they need to meet Walmart’s completion requirements on time.
Who is Higg?
Higg is the sustainability insights platform, helping consumer goods businesses take responsibility for their entire impact – from materials to products, from factories to stores, across energy, waste, water, and working conditions.
By making both data collection and performance analysis easier, we help brands and manufacturers make better environmental, social and governance decisions – across all parts of their business.
Spun out of the Sustainable Apparel Coalition in 2019, Higg is the exclusive licensee of the Higg Index, a suite of tools for the standardized measurement of supply chain sustainability.
What is the Higg Index?
The Higg Index is a suite of tools developed by the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC), for the standardized measurement of supply chain sustainability, used by the footwear, apparel, textile, and other industries. Together, these tools are used to assess the environmental and social performance of both value chains and products. Each tool focuses on measuring a different parameter.
STEP 1: (IMPORTANT) Make sure to add firstname.lastname@example.org to your company email’s safe email sender list, otherwise you risk not receiving the ongoing communications due to email firewalls. If you do not receive an email from Higg by December 31, please check your spam folder. Note that Higg will not respond to emails sent to this address; you must submit questions here.
STEP 3: PURCHASE HIGG FACILITY SUBSCRIPTION
Once logged in, purchase the Higg Facility Environmental Subscription or Higg Facility Plus Subscription from the Higg subscriptions page to access the Higg FEM self-assessment. If you have not participated in Higg reporting before, you have the option to purchase the Facility Starter Subscription instead.
Note that when you log in, you may see promotional discounts applied to the subscription pricing.
STEP 4: SHARE HIGG FACILITY MODULE(S) WITH Walmart
Accept the module share request sent by Walmart.
If you do not see a pending share request from Walmart in your modules page, under Share Requests, you should click the Share Module button and initiate the module share with Walmart.
Account Name: Walmart
Higg ID: 17405
STEP 5: COMPLETE AND POST HIGG SELF-ASSESSMENT(S) WITH Walmart
Complete 100% of the applicable questions and post the module. Facilities that have completed the Higg FEM in previous years can use the roll forward feature to easily copy data to the new Higg FEM.
STEP 6: VERIFY HIGG SELF-ASSESSMENT
Verification ensures that facilities have accurately completed all parts of the Higg Facility module – giving the self-assessment data the credibility and accuracy required to share publicly.
Note: Verification of the FEM self-assessment is also required by Walmart every other year. If your facility completed verification for Higg FEM 2020, you will not need to complete it again until the Higg FEM 2022 cycle next year. If your facility did not complete verification for FEM 2020, then you will need to complete verification this year for FEM 2021.
- November 5, 2021 – FEM and Facility Foundations self-assessments become accessible
- January 1, 2022 – Higg FEM verification is accessible
- April 30, 2022 – Higg FEM 2021 self-assessment can no longer be unposted (once posted)
- October 31, 2022 – Higg FEM 2021 and verification is no longer available for purchase
- December 31, 2022 – Higg FEM 2021 reporting cycle ends; Last day to post both self and verified Higg FEM 2021
Walmart’s Deadlines (2021-2022)
- April 30, 2022 – all Higg FEM self-assessments must be posted and shared with Walmart
- December 31, 2022 – last day to post Higg FEM verification
- Past Walmart sustainability bulletins can be found at Retail Link > Apps > P > Product Quality and Compliance Library > a2 Supplier Communications > Sustainability Supplier Communications
- Questions related to Walmart’s Higg program can be submitted to Julia Nehring at email@example.com
Higg’s training website, HowtoHigg.org, contains all of the information and guidance facilities need to help them at every stage of the module completion process.
- Higg Facility Subscriptions Overview – the new way to purchase Higg facility modules
- Higg Facility Environmental Module (FEM) & Facility Foundations
- Higg Facility Social and Labor Module (FSLM)
- Training Events
- Customer Support
- Submit questions about Higg accounts, modules, and subscriptions to the Higg Support Team.