What is the BRM?
The Higg Brand & Retail Module, or BRM, is a holistic sustainability assessment tool managed by Higg. The BRM is part of the Higg Index, which is a suite of tools developed by the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC), for the standardized measurement of supply chain sustainability, used by the footwear, apparel, textile, and other industries. The BRM is a tool that standardizes how brands and retailers measure and evaluate their environmental and social performance, year over year. This tool evaluates the maturity of a brand or retailer’s social and environmental management system. It drives performance improvement and assesses social and environmental risks – aligning with standards, government initiatives, and other Higg tools. The BRM covers 11 environmental factors including GHG emissions as well as 16 social factors including child labor.
Why is Zalando asking you to complete the BRM?
Zalando’s vision is to be a sustainable fashion platform with a net-positive impact on people and the planet. In line with the 2023 Sustainability Strategy do.More, Zalando has committed to only working with partners who meet our ethical standards. To address this, we decided to implement an assessment framework for brands that are selling on our Fashion Store. As Europe’s leading destination for fashion, we want to leverage the role we play in the industry, and create greater transparency for customers, so that we can enable them to make more sustainable choices together. Over the next months and years, we will work together closely with brands to push for better social and environmental standards.
Who is Higg?
Higg is the sustainability insights platform, helping consumer goods businesses take responsibility for their entire impact – from materials to products, from factories to stores, across energy, waste, water, and working conditions.
By making both data collection and performance analysis easier, we help brands and manufacturers make better environmental, social and governance decisions – across all parts of their business.
Spun out of the SAC in 2019, Higg is the exclusive licensee of the Higg Index, a suite of tools for the standardized measurement of supply chain sustainability.
- Create an Account
- Your company / organisation must have a Higg account to participate in the BRM. Click here for step-by-step instructions specific for Brand Partners (non SAC Members)
- Purchase your BRM access.
- Purchase via Credit Card or Wire Transfer. If your company must be billed an invoice select Wire Transfer.
- Zalando is offering a subsidies discount to Brand Partners that are completing the BRM for the first time based on brand revenue and fee category. Please see the following link for the breakdown of subsidy codes to be used.
- Select a “lead” within your company who will be responsible for tracking progress and the assignment of questions across the company. The project lead will have to consult and engage with different departments and teams to respond to the questions and collect data.
- To manage your account or add team members click here.
FAQs about Getting Started
- When do I need to complete my BRM?
- The tool opens March 1st, 2022 and your assessment has to be completed and shared with Zalando by June 30th, 2022. Please note you can only share assessments that are 100% complete.
- How often do I need to complete the BRM?
- Zalando requires you to complete and share your BRM on an annual basis.
- What are the consequences of not completing the BRM?
- The BRM is a critical component of Zalando’s corporate strategy and failure to complete the BRM will result in an escalation and review of applicable consequences which may include offboarding. Please reach out to Higg or Zalando if you are facing any issues in completing the BRM.
- Can the BRM be completed on a Group level or does each individual brand have to complete it?
- The BRM can be completed on Group level.
- How much time is required to complete the BRM?
- The time required to complete the BRM will vary depending on how much of the required data and information you have already collected prior to starting the module and how many colleagues you will have to engage. We estimate the full module will take between 4-6 weeks to complete. The system will allow you to save your responses, which you can revisit at any point.
- Who in my company has to fill out the BRM?
- Do I have to be an SAC member to access and complete the BRM?
- No, you do not need to be an SAC member to access and complete the BRM.
- Will my BRM data be shared publicly?
- No, unverified data and scores cannot be shared publicly. If you decide to participate in the voluntary BRM verification process you will be able to publish your results using SAC communications guidelines. Please contact Zalando for further information on the verification process.
- What are the costs to access the BRM?
- The cost, and potential subsidies offered by Zalando, of the BRM will depend on your company’s revenue size. Please follow the link to the breakdown of subsidy codes.
Organizations who have never completed BRM:
Module costs are based on yearly revenue to accommodate all budgets and encourage participation.
|Zalando Subsidy||Your Cost||Discount Code|
$100m to $1
|Over $1 Billion||$5,500||-$1,375||$4,125||ZBM3|
- January, 2022 – BRM available for presale on Higg.com
- March 1, 2022 – BRM tool opens to start completing
- June 30, 2022 – Deadline for 100% completion and share BRM with Zalando
In order to assist in the successful completion of the BRM, Zalando is working with Higg to offer its Brand Partners a comprehensive webinar series along with office hours. Office hours are hosted by Higg offering Brand Partners an open forum to bring questions on the BRM and ask Higg experts. Please see the full list of webinars and office hours under the webinar tab.
- Add Training Webinars to your calendar.
- Add Office Hours to your calendar.
- Bookmark howtohigg.com
- Questions? Brand Partners are on a priority queue. Access support once you’re logged into your Higg account.
Environmental Required Risk: For the sake of comparability & alignment with Zalando’s internal Code Of Conduct, please select the following risks in the list provided in the BRM – Management system – Environment section
Social and Labor Required Risk: For the sake of comparability & alignment with Zalando’s internal Code Of Conduct, please select the following risks in the list provided in the BRM – Management system – Social & labor section
Please click on the title of the Webinar to register.
|BRM: Kickoff with Zalando brand list||February 15th, 2022|
|BRM#1: Getting Started||March 1st , 2022|
|BRM #2: Practical Tips||March 8th, 2022|
|BRM: Office Hours #1||April 5th, 2022|
|BRM #3: Addressing Challenging Questions||April 26th, 2022|
|BRM: Office Hours #2||May 17th, 2022|
|BRM: Office Hours #3||June 7th , 2022|
|BRM #4: Finishing up & Next Steps||June 21nd, 2022|
BRM Webinar Recordings
|BRM#1: Getting Started||68nzr@5?|
|BRM #2: Practical Tips||6QQx*m3n|
|BRM: Office Hours #1||03+Ezz@!|
|Zalando BRM 2021 – Project Kickoff||Link|
|Zalando BRM 2021 – Launch||Link|
|Zalando BRM 2021 – Removing Interpretation||Link|
|Zalando BRM 2021 – Practical Support||Link|
|Zalando BRM 2021 – Addressing Challenging Questions||Link|
- How will Zalando use your BRM data?
- Zalando will be using the data received from Brand Partners to
- understand where the challenges are,
- measure brand performance and supply chain impacts,
- share trends,
- collaborate with brands to drive meaningful improvements,
- develop minimum standard standards to raise the bar in the fashion industry and
- to understand areas that need support
- In the future we would like to pursue how this information could enable consumers to make sustainable choices.
- Zalando will be using the data received from Brand Partners to
- How will Higg use your BRM data?
- Higg will use your data in its anonymous benchmarking tool. In this tool you will be able to see where your brand ranks against your industry peers.
Data reported on the Higg.org platform is GDPR compliant and has access and security protocols in place to prevent unauthorised data access
Should you have further questions on data security, please contact howtohigg.org/request
Higg’s training website, HowtoHigg.org, contains all of the information and guidance Brand Partners need to help them at every stage of the module completion process.
Submit questions about Higg accounts, modules, and subscriptions to the Higg Support Team.
- My company has a Higg account, but I don’t have a login.
- Once you have created an account, additional team members can be added to the account to access the collected data, support in completing the modules, etc. To invite a new user to the account, go to the ‘My Team’ tab and click the Invite New User button. Add the email address and send the invitation. Once the user accepts, they will have access to the account.
- I’ve forgotten my password, how do I reset it?
- If you need to reset your password, click the button “Don’t remember my password” and follow the prompts to reset your password.