Using the Communications Toolkit
If you choose to use the materials in the FEM Communications Toolkit, your facility’s performance report must be made available for reference, for example on your website. The report provides holistic information and ensures criteria of meaningful transparency are met. Communicating stand-alone scores without access to your report is not permitted. Review the FEM Communication Guidelines in the toolkit to learn more.
What’s in the FEM Communications Toolkit?
The zip file includes the FEM Communications Toolkit: toolkit guidelines, icons of assessment areas and facility types, a badge, business card, impact score card, and a performance report.
The FEM performance report features your facility’s total verified FEM score and its performance across the seven environmental impact areas the FEM assesses. If your facility posted third-party, on-site verified modules two consecutive years, your report will feature your facility’s progress between these two years.
Environmental Impact Areas
See how your facility performed in each FEM impact area:
- Environmental Management Systems
- Energy Use and Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Water Use
- Emissions to Air
- Waste Management
- Chemical Management
FEM has four performance achievement levels.
- Beginner: The facility started the FEM level 1 but hasn’t achieved level 1 questions.
- Intermediate: The facility has achieved level 1 FEM questions.
- Advanced: The facility has achieved level 2 FEM questions.
- Leader: The facility has achieved level 3 FEM questions.
Annual Performance Comparison
If your facility posted third-party, on-site verified modules two consecutive years, your report will feature your facility’s progress between these two years.
- A green arrow pointing up indicates the facility has improved performance and advanced a level compared to the previous year.
- A yellow circle indicates the facility’s performance has not resulted in a level change compared to the previous year.
- A red arrow pointing down indicates the facility has regressed a level compared to the previous year.
The badge features your facility’s total vFEM score.
The FEM impact scorecard highlights your facility’s holistic approach to environmental sustainability. The scorecard features your facility’s total vFEM score as well as performance across the Higg FEM impact areas.
You can print your facility’s FEM performance on a business card to hand out to your external contacts. The card features your facility’s verified FEM performance. The card is double-sided. One side features your facility’s name; the other side features your facility’s FEM performance.