Raw Material Source
The Raw Material Source Production Stage covers the production of the wood-based materials from forestry practices through intermediate processing to a bulk commodity material form. The following process options are available to customize Wood-based Materials Example Materials:
- Cardboard, market mix is the default process selection and should be used unless using recycled content.
- Cardboard, recycled should be selected when the cardboard is manufactured from recycled content. If the cardboard is less than 43% recycled content, only the market mix process should be selected, as it already accounts for this amount of recycled content. For recycled content above this amount but below 94%, a Material Blend that contains both recycled and market mix cardboard should be created. Above 94% recycled content, this process should be selected.
- Paper, market mix is the default process selection and should be used unless using recycled content.
- Paper, recycled should be selected when the paper is manufactured from recycled content. If the paper is only partly recycled content, it is not appropriate to only select this process. A Material Blend that contains both recycled and market mix paper should be created.
- Softwood is the default process selection for wood material and is currently the only process selection available. If the wood source is a hardwood, this Softwood process is the most representative process and should be used.