As part of Nike’s ongoing commitment to sustainability, it is a requirement for their supply chain partners to complete a 2022 Higg Facility Environmental Module (FEM) or Facility Foundations, with verification.
The Higg FEM is an industry-leading sustainability assessment tool that standardizes how facilities measure and evaluate their environmental sustainability performance.
Higg Facility Foundations is an introductory environmental assessment. This self-assessment contains a subset of the Higg FEM and is designed for businesses beginning to measure the environmental impact of their manufacturing. Facility Foundations does not include scoring or benchmarking, or additional results reports, however it can be verified.
This year, Nike requires each facility to purchase one of the below Higg facility subscription options + verification, to access the assessments. If you are new to Higg FEM please use the starter subscription. All other suppliers whom have completed an FEM in the past please use the Environmental Subscription. (if you are being asked to use the Plus by another brand that is okay and will meet Nike’s needs.)
- Facility Starter Subscription – this subscription includes access to the Higg Facility Foundations self-assessment; facilities that have NEVER completed a Higg FEM in previous years should purchase this subscription, plus verification.
- Facility Environmental Subscription – this subscription includes access to the standard Higg FEM 2022 self-assessment; all facilities that have completed a Higg FEM before should log into their existing accounts and choose this option, plus verification.
- Be sure to add verification to your subscription
Nike is working with Higg, the Sustainable Apparel Coalition’s (SAC) technology partner, to help facilities complete their assessment(s). Higg will be sending email communications throughout the reporting period to each facility. These Higg communications will provide resources and guidance on next steps to ensure facilities are getting the support they need to meet Nike’s completion requirements on time.
Who is Higg?
Higg is the sustainability insights platform, helping consumer goods businesses take responsibility for their entire impact – from materials to products, from factories to stores, across energy, waste, water, and working conditions.
By making both data collection and performance analysis easier, we help brands and manufacturers make better environmental, social and governance decisions – across all parts of their business.
Spun out of the Sustainable Apparel Coalition in 2019, Higg is the exclusive licensee of the Higg Index, a suite of tools for the standardized measurement of supply chain sustainability.
What is the Higg Index?
The Higg Index is a suite of tools developed by the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC), for the standardized measurement of supply chain sustainability, used by the footwear, apparel, textile, and other industries. Together, these tools are used to assess the environmental and social performance of both value chains and products. Each tool focuses on measuring a different parameter.
STEP 1: (IMPORTANT) Make sure to add email@example.com to your company email’s safe email sender list, otherwise you risk not receiving the ongoing communications due to email firewalls. If you do not receive an email from Higg by December 1, please check your spam folder.
STEP 2: LOGIN OR CREATE A HIGG ACCOUNT
Facilities that already have active Higg accounts can log into Higg.org. First-time Higg users should start here to learn how to create an account on Higg.org.
STEP 3: PURCHASE HIGG FACILITY SUBSCRIPTION
Once logged in, purchase both the Higg Facility subscription AND verification from the Higg subscriptions page to access the Higg facility assessment.
STEP 4: SHARE HIGG FACILITY MODULE(S) WITH Nike
Accept the module share request sent by Nike.
If you do not see a pending share request from Nike in your modules page, under Share Requests, you should click the Share Module button to initiate the module share with Nike.
Account Name: Nike, Inc.
Higg ID: 120
STEP 5: COMPLETE AND POST HIGG SELF-ASSESSMENT(S) WITH Nike
Complete 100% of the applicable questions and post the module. Facilities that have completed the Higg FEM in previous years can use the roll forward feature to easily copy data to the new Higg FEM.
STEP 6: VERIFY HIGG SELF-ASSESSMENT
Verification of the self-assessment is also required by Nike. Verification ensures that facilities have accurately completed all parts of the Higg FEM – giving the self-assessment data the credibility and accuracy required to share publicly.
- November 3, 2022 – FEM and Facility Foundations self-assessments become accessible
Nike’s Deadlines (2022-2023)
- December 31, 2022 – all facilities must purchase a 2022 Higg Facility Subscription
- January 31, 2023 – recommend all Higg FEM and Facility Foundation self-assessments posted and shared with Nike, verification scheduled with SAC verifying body
- April 30, 2023 – all verified Higg FEM and Facility Foundation modules must be posted and shared with Nike
Nike’s Deadlines (2022-2023): New Enrollment
- NSAP: Complete the assessment process within eight weeks from the date of Nike enrollment email.
- Better Work (not in SLCP Eligible Countries):
- As soon as possible from the date of Nike enrollment email – all facilities must purchase Higg Facility Subscription
- Complete FEM as per the above timelines.
Online Training Course for Code of Conduct and Code Leadership Standards
The course is accessible via this link. After clicking the link, the course can be accessed by clicking the ‘Enroll’ button to the right. Upon accessing the site, you will be required to create a user profile, which enables you to access training via the system. The user profile also enables you to return to the training if you do not complete it during the initial session. The training will take approximately 90 minutes to complete and includes interactive features and quizzes.
Updated Translations of Code of Conduct and Code Leadership Standards
Please be advised that updated translations in the operating languages of our suppliers are now available for Code of Conduct and Code Leadership Standards. Please ensure to always use the most updated versions.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for Nike or “non-Higg” questions. This is a shared inbox, if your matter is urgent please work with your Nike Partner Manager.
Higg User Resources
- Higg’s training website, HowToHigg.org, contains all of the information and guidance facilities need to help them at every stage of the module completion process.
- Introduction to Higg FEM/ Facility Foundations
- Step-by-step instructions to complete Higg FEM/Facility Foundations
- Verification Guidance for Higg Facility Modules
- Check out the Higg Events Resources page to view past webinar recordings and register to attend upcoming training and office hour sessions through our Higg Training Events Calendar.
- Submit questions about Higg accounts, modules, and subscriptions to the Higg Support Team.
Higg FEM Technical Training
- FEM Technical Training
- Topic: Air Emission, Energy & GHG, Wastewater, and Chemical sections deep dive
- 2 sessions in English:
- Verification Training
Facility Office Hours
- December 2022
- January 2023
- February 2023
- March 2023
- EMEA/NAMER (in English) – March 7th, 2023 | 8AM PST (5PM CET) registration (TBA)
- APAC (in English) – March 8th, 2023 | 10AM (Singapore time) registration (TBA)
- April 2023
- APAC (in English) – TBA